- 2 lbs of fresh cherries, pitted or 2 10 oz bags of frozen cherries
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour sifted
- 7.5 ounces of crème fraiche
- 1 large vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- Dry (or thaw) cherries.
- In a small pot, heat the cream and butter together hot but not boiling. Remove from heat.
- Split the vanilla bean length-wise and scrape the inside of half with the back edge of a knife to extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla extract together and add the sifted flour, salt and sugar.
- Pour the cream/butter mixture into the bowl while whisking until smooth. The batter will be thin. Allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 375°.
- Rub the inside of a large shallow baking dish or large cast-iron skillet with butter and sprinkle the two tablespoons of sugar over the butter.
- Add the cherries to the buttered dish and pour the batter over just covering the cherries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until fluffy and golden brown around the edges. The middle should be firm when you shake the pan.
- Mix the crème fraiche with the vanilla extract from the other half of the vanilla bean and add the 1 1/2 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Mix then cool.
- The clafoutis will deflate when you take it out of the oven.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Sift powdered sugar over the clafoutis and serve with a dollop of crème fraiche.